Amit Shah is an Indian politician currently serving as the Minister of Home Affairs and the first Minister of Co-operation of India. Amit Shah is often referred to as a modern-day Chanakya and he is actually an admirer of Chanakya.
He served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from 2014 to 2020. He has also served as chairman of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) since 2014. He was elected to the lower house of Parliament, Lok Sabha, in the 2019 Indian general elections from Gandhinagar. Earlier, he had been elected as a member of the upper house of Parliament, Rajya Sabha, from Gujarat in 2017.
Amit Shah Biography/ Wiki
|Amit Shah Full Name||Amit Anil Chandra Shah|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Amit Shah Height||In Centimeter- 168 cm|
In Meter- 1.68 m
In Feet- 5’6”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 90 kg |
In Pound- 198 lbs
|Date Of Birth||22 October 1964 (Thursday)|
|Amit Shah Age (2022)||58 Years|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Libra|
|Home town||Mehsana, Gujrat, India|
|School||A Local School In Mehsana, Gujrat|
|College/University||C.U. Shah Science College, Ahmedabad|
|Address||16, Sudeep Society, Royal Crisant, Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway, Ahmedabad|
6-A, Krishna Menon Marg,. New Delhi-110001
|Amit Shah Wife||Sonal Shah|
|Marriage Date||22 December 1987 (Tuesday)|
Son– Jay Shah
|Parents||Father– Anil Chandra Shah|
Mother– Kusumben Shah
|Sibling||Brother– Not Known|
Sister– Aarti Shah
|Hobbies||Reading, Watching Cricket & Socila Services|
|Favourite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Amit Shah Net Worth (2022)||5.5 Million USD|
|Salary (As a Member Of Parliament)||1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
Family, Early Life and Education
Amit Shah (Amitbhai Anilchandra Shah) was born on 22 October 1964. He was born in a wealthy Jain family of Mumbai. His father Anilchandra Shah used to do business of PVC pipe.
Shah hails from a Hindu Vaishnav family, and is a Gujarati Bania. Earlier when his caste was not known, many media persons and politicians claimed that he was a Jain. On 6 April 2018, he denied these claims at a press conference in Mumbai, saying that he is a Hindu Vaishnav, not a Jain.
His father, Anilchandra Shah, was a businessman from Mansa in Gujarat. His mother Kusumben Shah was a housewife who passed away on 8 June 2010 due to illness of the body. He has a sister, Aarti Shah.
Amit Shah was interested in Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) since childhood. He used to participate in the neighboring shakhas of the RSS. He officially joined the RSS as a Swayamsevak (Volunteer) when he was in college. There he met Narendra Modi in 1982 in Ahmedabad.
He did his schooling from Jyoti Higher Secondary School, Ahmedabad. He studied Biochemistry from CU Shah Science College, Ahmedabad. After completing his college education, he worked for his father’s PVC pipe business. Amit Shah also worked as a stockbroker in co-operative banks of Ahmedabad.
He married Sonal Shah in the year 1987. His wife Sonal is a resident of Kolhapur, Maharashtra. They have a son, Jay Shah, who is a businessman and is married to Rishita Patel.
Amit Shah Career
- He became the leader of RSS’s student wing Akshil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVB) in 1983.
- He became a member of the BJP in 1984.
- He became an activist of BJP’s youth wing Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) in 1987.
- In Gandhinagar, he campaigned in 1991 for Lal Krishna Advani during Lok Sabha elections.
- He was also elected as an MLA in 1995 from the Sarkhej Constituency in Gujarat and became an MLA 4 more times from the same constituency.
- Amit Shah was appointed as the president of the Ahmedabad District Cooperative Bank (ADCB) in 2000. When he took charge of the bank, it was running in losses of around Rs 36 Crore and was on the verge of shutting down. Due to Amit Shah’s efforts in a year or so, bank recorded profits of Rs. 27 Crore.
- In 2009, he became the vice-president of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA).
- In 2012 assembly elections, Amit Shah contested from Naranpura seat and defeated Dr. Jitubhai B. Patel of the Congress. He won by over 60,000 votes.
- He was appointed as the National General Secretary of BJP.
- He became the president of BJP in 2014.
- He was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat in August 2017.
- In 2019, Lok Sabha elections, Amit Shah won Gandhinagar Lok Sabha seat by a margin of more than 5 lakh votes, surpassing LK Advani’s record of 4.83 lakh votes.
- In 2019, Narendra Modi’s cabinet, Amit Shah is a Minister of Home Affairs.
Amit Shah: As a Gujarat Minister
- He contested the 2002 Assembly elections from the Sarkhej constituency in Ahmedabad and won by around 158,036 votes by the highest margin. In Assembly election of 2007 also he again won from Sarkhej again. There is no denying the fact that Amit Shah has emerged as a prominent political leader during Narendra Modi’s twelve-year tenure as the CM of Gujarat. After winning 2002 elections, he became the youngest minister in the Narendra Modi government and was given several portfolios. He also played an important role in passing Gujarat Freedom of Religion Act.
Amit Shah: Union Cabinet Minister
Shah took oath as Cabinet Minister on 30 May 2019 and took office as Minister of Home Affairs on 1 June 2019. On 5 August 2019, Shah moved a resolution to scrap Article 370 in the Rajya Sabha and divide the state of Jammu and Kashmir into two , with Jammu and Kashmir serving as one of the union territories, and Ladakh serving as a separate union territory. (Amit Shah Article 370 Abrogation Speech)
NRC and CAA
On 19 November 2019, Shah declared in the Rajya Sabha of the Indian parliament that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) would be implemented throughout the country.
In December 2019, he introduced the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019, which grants Indian citizenship to religiously persecuted minority communities who migrated to the country before 2015 from the Muslim-majority countries of Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.