Arun Govil is an Indian actor and producer. He has acted in Hindi, Bhojpuri, Braj Bhasha, Odia and Telugu films. He is best known for playing Lord Rama in Ramanand Sagar’s hit television series Ramayan (1987).
He made his Bollywood debut in Prashanta Nanda’s Paheli (1977). He shot to stardom after he was cast in Kanak Mishra’s Sawan Ko Aane Do (1979) and Satyen Bose’s Saanch Ko Aanch Nahin (1979). He made his small screen debut in Ramanand Sagar’s Vikram Aur Betaal (1985). He was then cast as Lord Rama in Sagar’s TV series Ramayan (1986), for which he won the Uptron Award in the Best Actor in a Leading Role category in 1988. He reprised his role as Rama in Sagar’s Luv Kush and Padmalya Telefilms Limited’s Jai Veer Hanuman.
His role as Rama provided him great exposure and led him to be cast in other roles such as Harishchandra in the TV series Vishwamitra or Buddha in the TV series Buddha. He lent his voice as Rama in Yugo Sako’s Indo-Japanese animation film Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama (1992). He also played the role of Laxman in V. Madhusudhan Rao’s Lav Kush (1997).
Arun Govil Biography & Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Arun Govil|
|Famous For||Role of Lord Rama in Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayana (1987–1988)|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Height||In Centimeter- 177 cm|
In Meter- 1.77 m
In Feet- 5’10”
|Date Of Birth||12 January 1958 (Sunday)|
|Arun Govil Age (2022)||64 Years|
|Birthplace||Ramnagar, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Capricorn|
|Home town||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|College/University||Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meeruth|
|Arun Govil Wife||Shrilekha Govil|
|Children||Son– Amal Govil|
Daughter– Sonika Govil
|Parents||Father– Chandra Prakash Govil|
Mother– Name Not Known
|Sibling||Brother– Vijay Govil (Elder) & 4 Other Brothers|
Sister– 2 Sisters
|Arun Govil Net Worth (2022)||5 Million USD|
Family, Early Life and Education
Arun Govil was born on 12 January 1958 in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. He got his formal education at Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, where he studied engineering science and acted in some plays.
Arun’s father, Shri Chandra Prakash Govil, was a government officer. Arun is the fourth of six brothers and two sisters. His elder brother Vijay Govil is married to Tabassum, a former child actress and the host of the first Bollywood Celebrity talk show on Doordarshan Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan, which continued for 21 years. Govil is married to actress Shrilekha, with whom he has two children.
Arun Govil Career
- In 1975, He moved to Mumbai to join his brother’s business there. After a short while, he found that he no longer enjoyed the work and decided to find something more enjoyable.
- After doing dramas in college he decided to start acting. Govil got his first break in Indian cinema in the 1977 film Paheli, when he was introduced to Tarachand Barjatya by his sister-in-law Tabassum.
- Barjatya was really impressed by Govil’s performance in the film and he signed him a three-film-deal — Kanak Mishra’s Sawan Ko Aane Do (1979), Vijay Kapoor’s Raadha Aur Seeta (1979) and Satyen Bose’s Saanch Ko Aanch Nahin (1979).
- Sawan Ko Aane Do became a major success at the box office catapulting Govil to stardom.
- Ramanand Sagar cast Govil as Vikramaditya in his television series Vikram Aur Betaal and Rama in Ramayan.
- His role as Rama provided great exposure to him and led to him being cast in other religious-based roles, including Harishchandra in Vishwamitra (TV series) and Buddha in TV series Buddha. Arun Govil has worked in movies of several languages.
- He has worked in Bengali movies like Bidhir Bidhan (1989) and many Telugu movies like Edu Kondalaswamy (1991), Govindha Govindha (1993), The Great Robbery (1996) and Aa re Kaaliya. He has also got an opportunity to anchor a show on lord Ram, Jahan Jahan Ram Charan Chali Jaahi. He also lent his voice in Hindi version 1992 mythological Indo-Japanese animation movie Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama as Rama.
- On March 18, 2021, he joined the Bhartiya Janata Party setting foot in politics.
Unknown Facts About Arun Govil
- Not many are aware that Arun is veteran Bollywood actor and popular TV show host Tabassum’s brother-in-law. Arun’s elder brother Vijay is married to the actress.
- Arun has not just worked in Hindi but Bhojpuri, Telugu, Kannada, Tamil and Odia films as well.
- Arun confessed that he was out and out rejected for the role of Ram by Ramanand Sagar.
- The actor then revealed that one thing which made him bag the role was his smile. Arun said that it was Sooraj Barjatiya who told Arun to use his beautiful smile. Arun did this in his look test which instantly attracted Ramanand Sagar and he got selected for the role.
- Apart from that, there was apparently one more reason why Ramanand Sagar rejected Arun for the role of Lord Ram. It is being said that Arun had a smoking addiction which did not go well with Ramanand Sir and he didn’t want his Lord Ram character to have any such habits. Interestingly, Arun gave up his smoking but later he got so deeply involved in his character that he quit smoking forever.
- Arun’s career took a huge turn after Ramayan but it also brought problems for him. The actor revealed how producers were not ready to sign him and felt that he was no more suitable for commercial films.
- After Ramayan started airing again recently, Arun Govil made his Twitter debut and has been sharing fond memories of his good old days with his fans. Arun has clearly made his way through everyone’s heart with his role as Lord Rama and he will always be remembered for this.