Senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal is a well-known lawyer of the country as well as he was The Minister of Information Technology and Law and Justice in the Union Cabinet of the Government of India.
Kapil Sibal’s Bio
|Kapil Sibal’s Real Name||Kapil Sibal|
|Height||In Centimeters- 173cm|
In Meter- 1.73 meter
In Feet- 5’8 feet
|Weight||In Kilogram- 88kg|
In Pound- 176 Ibs
|Date Of Birth||8 August 1948|
|Kapil Sibal’s Age (2022)||74 Years|
|Birth Place||Jalandhar, Punjab|
|School||St. John’s High School, Chandigarh|
|College/University||St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi|
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, USA
|Education||Bachelor of Law (LLB) from St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi.|
LLB FromFAculty of Law, University of Delhi.
M.A In History from St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi.
Masters in Law (LLM) from Harvard Law School, Cambridge, USA
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Writing Poems, Watching Cricket.|
|Kapil Sibal’s Wife/Spouse||Nina Sibal (1973-2000) (Died Of Breast Cancer)|
Promila Sibal (2005- Present)
|Children||Son- Amit Sibal (Lawyer)|
Akhil Sibal (Lawyer)
|Parents||Father- Hira Lal Sibal ( Lawyer)|
Mother- Kailash Rani Sibal
|Siblings||Virendra Sibal, Elder, IAS|
Jitendra Sibal, Elder, IAS
Kanwal Sibal Elder, IFS (Former Foreign Secretary of India)
|Address||C-1 Maharani Bagh, New Delhi|
|As A Lawyer||Joined The Bar Association in 1972.|
Additional Solicitor General Of India Between 1989 & 1990 as well.
Served As The President Of The Supreme Court Bar Association on 1995-96, 1997-98,2001-02.
|As A Bureaucrats||In 1973 Qualified for Indian Administrative Services & was offered an appointment, but declined to Join.|
|As A Politician||Elected as a Member Of Rajya Sabha in 1998.|
Secretary of the Congress Parliamentary Party from 2002.
Member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on stock market Scam from April 2001 to December 2002.
Member of the Business Advisory Committee in August 2001.
Member of the Committee on Home Affairs In 2002.
Elected to Lok Sabha for The First time in Lok 2004.
Appointed as The Union Minister Of Science & Technology & Earth Science on 23 May 2004.
Re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009.
Appointed as The Union Minister of Human Resource Development in 2009.
Appointed as The Union Minister for Communication & Information Technology On 19 January 2011.
Take Additional Charge of The Minister of Law & Justice in May 2013.
Elected As a member of Rajya Sabha On 5 May 2016.
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Property||Movable Assets– Fixed Deposit, Investment in Share, Mutual Fund, Jewellery Worth Rs. 12 Crore. |
1 kg of Gold Amounting to Rs. 60 Lakh.
House in Maharani Bagh,
A Plot in Kant Enclave, Faridabad-
Plot In Gurgaon.
Flat In Central Park, Gurgaon. Worth Rs. 7 Crore
|Kapil Sibal’s Net Worth||212 Crore|
|Salary||Rs. 1,00,000+ All the Allowances payable to Rajya Sabha Member.|
- He was born on 8 August 1948 in Jalandhar. His father had come to India during the partition of India-Pakistan. His father was an excellent lawyer, so he was given the title of Living Legend of Law by the International Bar Association.
- Kapil Sibal passed the Indian Administrative Examination in 1973, but his interest was in the field of law, so he did not join.
- Kapil Sibal says that he is a lawyer by profession and a politician by accident. Sibal was the Additional Solicitor General from 1989-1990.
- The impeachment case against Justice V Ramaswamy of the Supreme Court was going on in the Parliament. Sibal had reached the court to defend him. This incident proved to be a milestone in Sibal’s life.
- PV Narasimha Rao was the Prime Minister of the country at that time. His eyes fell on him and seeing his strong style of speaking, he offered him a Congress ticket in 1996. But he lost the election in front of BJP’s Sushma Swaraj.
- In 2004, he contested the election from Chandni Chowk and reached Parliament by defeating Smriti Irani of BJP.
- His poetry collection ‘I witness: partial observations’ was published in 2008 by a publishing house named Roli Book.
- His second poetry collection ‘My World Within’ was published in 2012.
- Along with advocacy and politics, Kapil Sibal has also written songs. He wrote two songs for the film ‘Shorgul’ released in 2016. The first is “Tere Bina” and the second “Mast Hawa”.
- 2006- Padma Bhushan
- As a counsel appearing in the Ayodhya title case, Sibal made a politically charged legal argument, and requested the court to adjourn the 25-year old case till 2019. He did this because he said he was convinced that the court’s verdict could influence the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- Sibal had opposed the ban on triple talaq, terming the despicable practice as a “matter of faith”.