Lata Mangeshkar is the most popular and respected singer of India, whose tenure of six decades is full of achievements.
Lata Mangeshkar’s Bio
|Real Name/ Full Name||Hema Mangeshkar|
|Nick Name||Swar Kokila|
|Lata Mangeshkar’s Height||In Centimeter- 155 cm|
In Meter- 1.55 meter
In Feet- 5 feet 1 inch
|Weight||In Kilogram- 82kg|
In Pound- 180 Ibs
|Hair Color||Salt pepper|
|Born||28 September 1929|
|Lata Mangeshkar’s Age||92 Years|
|Birth Place||Indore, Indore State, Central India Agency, British India.|
|Lata Mangeshkar Death||06 February 2022 ( Sunday)|
|Death Place||Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Education||School Drop Out|
|Lata Mangeshkar’s Affairs/Boyfriend||Bhupendra Hazarika|
*as claimed by Hazarika’s wife on his first death anniversary..
|Parents||Father– Deenanath Mangeshkar(Marathi theater actor, Musician & Vocalist)|
Mother– Shevanti Mangeshkar
Favourite & Beloved Things
|Favorite Food||Sea Food, Jalebi, Gajar ka Halwa|
|Favorite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Favorite Actor||Deelip Kumar, Dev Anand|
|Favorite Actress||Meena Kumari, Nargis|
|Favorite Cricketer||Sachin Tendulakar|
|Favorite Destination||Los Angelis|
|Debut Hindi Song||first Hindi song was “Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu” for the Marathi film Gajaabhaau (1943).|
|Lata Mangeshkar’s Net Worth (2021)||15 million USD|
|Cars||Chevrolet, Buick, Chrysler|
Chamballa Hills, Pedder Road,
South Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Lata Mangeshkar is India’s most iconic playback singer who has sung many film and non-film memorable songs.
- Lata Mangeshkar has sung songs in more than a thousand Hindi films. He has sung mainly in Hindi, Marathi and Bengali.
- She has sung songs in more than 36 languages which is a record in itself.
- Lata Mangeshkar was born on 28 September 1929 in Indore. She is the elder daughter of Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar and Shevanti. Lata’s father Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar was a Marathi musician, classical singer and theater actor while mother was a Gujarati.
- Pandit Dinanath’s surname was Hardikar which he changed to Mangeshkar. He was a resident of Mangeshi in Goa and on the basis of this he chose his new surname.
- At the time of Lata’s birth, her name was Hema which was changed to Lata. This name came to Dinanath from the name of Latika, a female character in his play ‘Bhavbandhan’. After Lata, Meena, Asha, Usha and Hridaynath were born.
- From an early age Lata Mangeshkar got a surround of music and art in the house and she was fascinated towards it. From the age of five, Lata was taught music lessons by her father. Lata also started acting in her father’s plays.
- In the early days of school, Lata wanted her younger sister Asha to sit with her in the class, but the teacher refused to do so, which made Lata angry and never went to school again.
- After the death of her father in 1942, the responsibility of the house and younger siblings fell on Lata, close family members helped Lata to pursue a career in singing and acting.
- Lata did not like acting, but due to financial constraints, she acted in some Hindi and Marathi films.
- Sadashivrao Nevrekar gave Lata the opportunity to sing in a Marathi film in 1942. Lata also recorded the song, but the song was dropped from the final cut of the film.
- Lata sang the Hindi song ‘Mata Ek Sapoot Ki Duniya Badal De Tu’ in the Marathi film ‘Gajabhau’ released in 1943.
- Lata Mangeshkar moved to Mumbai in 1945 where she began learning Indian classical music from Ustad Aman Ali Khan of Bhindi Bazar Gharana.
- Music composer Ghulam Haider made Lata Mangeshkar sing a song ‘Dil Mera Toda, Mujhe Kahin Ka Na Chhoda’ in ‘Majboor’ (1948). This song can be considered as Lata’s first hit.
- Lata Mangeshkar used to sing songs in Noor Jahan’s style, but later made her own voice. Most of the Hindi cinema composers of that time used the word Urdu more than Hindi. Dilip Kumar had also heard Lata using Marathi tones in Hindi-Urdu songs, after which Lata received Urdu language education from an Urdu teacher.
- In 1949 a film was released ‘Mahal’. In this, Lata sang the song ‘Aayega Aane Wala’ which was picturized on Madhubala. This song is considered one of the finest songs of Lata and is heard even today.
- Lata Mangeshkar could not get married. She had to bear the burden of the family since childhood. She was so busy with family responsibilities that she did not get time to think about marriage. It is said that musician C. Ramchandra had proposed marriage to Lata Mangeshkar, but Lata ji turned it down.
- Lata sang songs for almost all the Yash Raj films including Chandni, Lamhe, Darr, Yeh Dillagi, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Mohabbatein, Mujhse Dosti Karoge and Veer-Zaara. Lata sang songs like ‘Jiya Jale’, ‘Khamoshiyan Gungane Lagi’, ‘Ek Tu Hi Bharosa’, ‘Pyaara Sa Gaon’, ‘So Gaya Hai’, ‘Lukka Chuppi’ and ‘O Palanhar’ with AR Rahman.
- Most recorded artist in the Guinness book of world records, more then 25000 songs in different languages.
|National Film Awards||1972– Best female playback Singer for songs of the film Parichay|
1974– Best female playback Singer for songs of the film Kora Kagaz.
1990– Best female playback Singer for songs of the film Lekin
|Filmfare Award||1959 – “Aaja Re Pardesi” from Madhumati|
1963 – “Kahi Deep Jale Kahi Dil” from Bees Saal Baad
1966 – “Tumhi Mere Mandir Tumhi Meri Pooja” from Khandan
1970 – “Aap Mujhe Achhe Lagne Lage” from Jeene Ki Raah
1993 – Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
1994 – Filmfare Special Award for “Didi Tera Devar Deewana” from Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!
2004 – Filmfare Special Award where a golden trophy was presented on the occasion of Filmfare Awards completing 50 years
|Doctor of Letters||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda (2005)|
Shivaji University, Kolhapur, India
Pune University, India
Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh,
India Fellow at Sangeet Natak Academi in 1989.
Hyderabad University, India
New York University.
|Government Of India Awards||1969– Padma Bhushan|
1989– Dada Saheb Phalke Award
1999– PAdma Vibhushan
2001– Bhatar Ratna
2008– LifeTime achievement Award
|Maharashtra State Awards||1966 – Best Playback Singer for Sadhi Mansa|
1966 – Best Music Director for Sadhi Manas (Marathi) under the name ‘Anandghan’
1977 – Best Playback Singer for Jait Re Jait
1997 – Maharashtra Bhushan Award
2001 – Maharashtra Ratna (First Recipient)
|Other Awards And rewards||1980 – Honorary Citizenship of The Republic of Surinam, South America|
2002 – Asha Bhosle Award (First Recipient)”
Avadh Samman” by the Government of Uttar Pradesh.
Things like controversy have not come to the public yet, yes there has been estrangement with colleagues and music directors, which do not need to be given much importance.