Nitin Gadkari is an Indian politician from Maharashtra who is the current Minister for Road Transport & Highways in the Government of India. He is also the longest serving Minister for Road Transport & Highways currently running his tenure for over 7 years. Gadkari earlier served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) from 2009 to 2013. He is also known for his work as the Public Works Department Minister of the State of Maharashtra, where, under his leadership, a series of roads, highways and flyovers across the state were constructed – including the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, India’s first six-lane concrete, high-speed expressway
Nitin Gadkari Biography & Wiki
|Nitin Gadkari Full Name||Nitin Jairam Gadkari|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Nitin Gadkari Height||In Centimeter- 168 cm|
In Meter- 1.68 m
In Feet- 5’6”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 95 kg |
In Pound- 209 lbs
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Date Of Birth||27 May 1957 (Monday)|
|Nitin Gadkari Age (2022)||65 Years|
|Birthplace||Nagpur, Bombay State (Now Mumbai)|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Gemini|
|College/University||University of Nagpur|
Diploma In Business management
|Nitin Gadkari Wife||Kanchan Gadkari|
|Marriage Date||18 December 1984 (Tuesday)|
|Children||Son– Nikhil Gadkari, Sarang Gadkari|
Daughter– Ketki (Married) (Husband- Aditya Kashedikar)
|Parents||Father– Jairam Ramchandra Gadkari (Farmer)|
Mother– Bhanutai Gadkari
|Sibling||Brother– Not Known|
Sister– Manisha Kishore Totade
|Nitin Gadkari Net Worth (2019)||₹ 18.8 Crore INR|
|Salary (as a member of Parliament)||1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
Family, Early Life and Education
Nitin Gadkari was born into a Marathi family in Nagpur, India to Jairam Gadkari and Bhanutai Gadkari on 27 May 1957.
During his adolescence, he worked for the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha and the student union Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. He completed M.Com. and L.L.B. from Nagpur University.
Nitin Gadkari Career
- At the age of 24, Gadkari was elected as the Nagpur City President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
- In 1985, he became Secretary of BJP Nagpur City and worked relentlessly to strengthen the party organization in urban and rural areas of the district.
- At the age of 32, Nitin Gadkari successfully contested elections to Maharashtra Legislative Council from Nagpur Division Graduates Constituency, spread over five districts. He repeated his successful performance four consecutive times in 1990, 1996, 2002 and 2008. Notably, he was elected unopposed in 2002.
- At the age of 35, he became the General Secretary of BJP in Maharashtra. Under his leadership the party organisation, spread its influence all over the state.
- The party’s spectacular victory in the Nagpur Municipal Corporation elections in 1992, established his organizational prowess beyond doubt. At the age of 38, he was inducted in the Maharashtra Cabinet.
- Gadkari was also the leader of the opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Council from 1999-2005. He headed the Maharashtra BJP as the State President till 2009 when he was elevated to the position of the BJP National President to become the youngest ever party President.
- In the 2014 general elections, Gadkari got elected to the Lok Sabha from Nagpur in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra.
- Currently, he is the Union Minister for Surface Transport & Shipping in the Government of India.
- Gadkari was given the additional charge of the ministries of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water and Sanitation after the sudden death of former union minister Gopinath Munde.
- He became the Secretary of Vidharbha region in 1979. He was the General Secretary of BJP in Maharashtra when he was 35.
- He became the President of BJP Maharashtra state in 2004. He became the High Power Committee for Privatization in Maharashtra in 1995 to 99.
- He was the chairman of the mining policy implementation committee in Maharashtra from 1995 to 99. He was the chairman of National Rural Road Development Committee, Government of India in 1995 to 99.
- He became the Chairman of Metropolis Beautification Committee of Maharashtra. On May 26, 2014, Nitin Gadkari became the Union Minister for Surface Transport & Shipping in the Government of India.
Some Facts About Nitin Gadkari
- Nitin Jairam Gadkari was born on 27 May 1957. He is an Indian Politician and the current Transport minister under the BJP central cabinet in the 16th Lok Sabha.
- In 2009, Mr.Gadkari was appointed to head BJP after the party suffered a defeat in the general elections that year. Mr. Gadkari constructed a series of roads, highways and flyovers across the state including the Yashwantrao Chavan Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
- From 1995 to 1999, Nitin Gadkari served as the minister of Public Works Department(PWD) and restructured it from top to bottom. He was appointed as the Chairman of National Rural Road Development Committee by the Union Government.
- Before the 2014 Maharashtra Assembly Elections, The Election Commission on 6 October 2014 issued a notice to Gadkari for “ statements to the effect of including the voters to take bribe”.
- In 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Gadkari defeated Congress leader Vilas Muttemwar by a margin of 285,000.