Prabhu Deva is an Indian dance choreographer, film director, producer and actor who has worked predominantly in Tamil, Hindi, and Telugu language films. In a career spanning 32 years, he has performed and designed a wide range of dancing styles and has garnered two National Film Awards for Best Choreography. In 2019, he was awarded the Padma Shri for his contributions to dance.
Prabhu Deva Bio/Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Shankupani, Prabhu Deva|
|Nick Name||Prabhu, Indian Michael Jackson|
|Profession||Actor, Indian Film Director, Dance Choreographer|
|Debut Movie||Film(Tamil Choreographer):- Vetri Vizha(1989)|
Film (Tamil, Actor):- Indhu (1994)
Film (Telugu, Director):- Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana (2005)
|Height||In Centimetre- 182 cm |
In Metre- 1.82 m
In Feet- 6’0”
|Date Of Birth||3 April 1973|
|Prabhu Deva Age (2021)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Mysore, Karnataka, India|
|Home town||Mysore, Karnataka|
|Prabhu Deva Wife||Ramlath or Latha (Ex-Wife)|
Marriage Year- 1995
|Children||Son– Late Vishal Deva (Died In 2008 Due to Cancer)|
Rishi Raghavendra Deva
|Parents||Prabhu Deva Father– Mugur Sundar (Choreographer)|
|Sibling||Brother– Raju sundaram ( Choreographer), Nagendra Prasad (Choreographer)|
|Net worth (2021)||18 Million USD|
Family, Early Life and Education
Prabhu Deva Sundaram was born on 3 April 1973 in Mysore. He spent his childhood in Chennai. Prabhu Deva was very impressed by his father’s excellent dance since childhood. His father Sundaram used to work as a dance master in South films. It was his father who taught him proficient education in Bharatanatyam and Western Dance.
Both his brothers Raju Sundaram and Nagendra Prasad are also working as dance choreographers in South films. Prabhu Deva was not only a good dancer but he also wanted to be a good actor, in which his dance helped him a lot. His first film as a choreographer was Vetri Vijh. He has choreographed more than 100 films in his career so far.
Prabhu is married to Ram Lata. Who has changed her name to Lata after marriage. They had three children, one of whom died of cancer in the year 2008. In 2010, Prabhu’s wife alleged that Prabhadeva was having an affair with actress Nayantara. After which Nayantara gave her statement in the media that there is no relation between her and Prabhu Deva.
Prabhu started his career as a dance choreographer. But later he got hooked on acting, after which he did the film Indu in 1994. His opposite actress Roja was seen in this film. Deva has worked in several Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi language films during her film career. He has also been awarded with many awards for his outstanding performance. He has also been given the National Award twice for his best dancing style.
Famous Movies– Vetri Vizz, Tamil, Truck Driver, Ban, Coolie No 1, Gharana Mogudu, Alluri Alludu, Mechanic Alludu, Raja Babu, Hello Brother, Bombay, A-B-C-D, Wanted, Rowdy Rathor, R-Rajkumar and Action-Jackson etc.
Some Facts About Prabhu Deva
- Although he is Indian MJ, Prabhu Deva was first trained in Bharatnatyam & was tutored by two professional dancers, Lakshminarayan & Dharmaraj. During his training, Prabhu came across a Michael Jackson video & was awed by his moves.
- Not many know that Prabhu started choreographing at his teenage. Whenever his father was overloaded with projects, he would delegate Prabhu Deva to & go choreograph some of the films that his father had accepted.
- Due to the fluidic dance moves, dancers suffer from different physical ailments. Although it isn’t his back which is problematic, it is his neck which is his kryptonite. Since god knows when, Prabhu Deva has been suffering from spondylitis & sees to that he doesn’t put too much stress on his neck.
- Upon his teachers’ insistence, Prabhu Deva started his own dance academy which is located in Singapore. Years ago, Prabhu Deva was at a loss as to how to proceed with his teaching profession. However, he went ahead & decided to set it up. Prabhu Deva Dance Academy PTE. LTD. was established in 2009 & went live since then. This shows the commitment he has towards dance.
- Prabhu Deva has been honoured with National Awards for Best Choreography twice. In 1996, he bagged the award for songs ‘Strawberry Kannae’ and ‘Vennilavae Vennilavae’ from Tamil film Minsara Kanavu. His second award was for film Hindi film Lakshya’s song ‘Main Aisa Kyu Hoon’, which featured Hrithik Roshan.