Ratan Tata who is the former chairman of the Tata group. Indian industrialist, being a visionary as well as a philanthropist, he was also the chairman of the Tata Group from 1990 to 2012.
Ratan Tata was also the chairman of all major companies like Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Power, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Tea, Tata Chemicals, Indian Hotels and Tata Teleservices. He is so visionary that he has made the loss making Tata group companies profitable with the help of many years of hard work and his vision and on his own.
Ratan Tata Biography & Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Ratan Naval Tata|
|Profession||Industalist, Investor, Philanthropist|
|Ratan Tata Height||In Centimeter- 177 cm|
In Meter- 1.77 m
In Feet- 5’10
|Weight||In Kilogram- 86 kg|
In Pound- 190 lbs
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Date Of Birth||28 December 1937 (Tuesday))|
|Ratan Tata Age (2022)||85 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Capricorn|
|Home town||Mumbai, India|
|School||Campion School, Mumbai|
Cathedral & John Connon School, Mumbai
|College/University||Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA|
Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
|Educational Qualification||B.S. Degree in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University, New York|
Advanced Management Programme from Harvard Business School (1975)
|Religion||Parsee (Zoroastrian Community)|
|Parents||Father– Late Naval Tata (Businessman)|
Mother– Late Sooni Tata
|Sibling||Brother– Noel Tata (Half Brother) (Businessman)|
|Hobbies||Listening to old Hindi Songs, Painting, Driving, Flying Jet Planes, Playing the Piano, Reading, Playing with his pet dogs|
|Food||Masoor dal cooked with lots garlic, Mutton Pulao Dal, Nut-rich baked custard|
|Ratan Tata (Net Worth) 2022||291 Billion USD (2010)|
Family, Early Life and Education
Ratan Tata was born on 28 December 1937 in Surat city of Gujarat. And his father’s name is Naval Tata. His mother’s name is Sunu Tata. When Ratan Tata was only 10 years old, his parents separated. After that both the brothers were brought up by their grandmother Navajbai Tata.
His grandmother was very kind, but also very strict in terms of discipline. He also has a half-brother named Noel Tata. As a child, he used to learn piano and play cricket.
Ratan Tata received his early education till 8th standard from Campion School in Mumbai.
He did his high school and intermediate from the Cathedral and John Connon School in Mumbai, and Bishop Cotton School in Shimla.
B.S. Degree in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University, New York
Advanced Management Programme from Harvard Business School (1975)
Ratan Tata Career
- After living in America from 1955 to 1962, he was greatly influenced by America. When he was in America, he was so influenced by the lifestyle of California and the West Coast that he decided to stay in Los Angeles.
- After some time his grandmother Nawazbai’s health started deteriorating, due to which he had to leave the dream of settling in America and come to India.
- When it came back to India it was IBM’s job but JRD Tata was not happy with this, he offered Ratan Tata to work in the Tata group company in the year 1962 and thus Ratan Tata’s arrival in the Tata group. After joining the big Tata Group, he worked on the shop floor of Tata Steel in his initial days,
- In the year 1971, he was made the director-in-charge of the National Radio and Electronics Company, by that time the company was running in loss and the company’s share in the market was only 2% and the reduction was 40%, after a few years Ratan Tata made the company profitable and Increase the company’s market share to 20%.
- But Indira Gandhi’s government imposed emergency due to which the company suffered losses and along with it Tata faced union strike, due to which Nelco company was later closed.
- After some time Ratan Tata was given the responsibility of handling a textile mill. This Tata Group company was also facing losses. After which Ratan Tata tried to handle it a lot but for some reason he needed 50 lakh rupees to improve the condition of the company but he could not get it and in the end this company was closed due to which Ratan Tata was very sad.
- A few years later, recognizing his vision, JRD Tata announced his successor to the Tata Group and succeeded his uncle, JRD Tata, in 1991 while in the Tata Group.
- Heatata Consultancy Services, headed by Tata Industries, issued a public issue and listed Tata Motors on the New York Stock Exchange.
- In 1998, Tata Motors launched the first Indian passenger car, the Tata Indica, in the market.
- Ratan Tata planned to expand the Tata Group very rapidly. Due to this foresight, it bought Tetley Tea Company in London in the year 2000, after that, in 2004 it bought the truck maker of Daewoo Motors of South Korea. Only 3 years after that, the Tata Group in 2007 bought the steel maker Anglo- Bought the Dutch. The Tata Group, under the command of Ratan Tata, became the fifth largest steel producer in the world.
Ratan Tata Dream Nano Car
It was the dream of Ratan Tata to bring the cheapest and economical car in the market for the people of his country India and this dream was also fulfilled by him. In the year 2008, Tata Motors inaugurated the cheapest car “Nano Car” at the Auto Expo in New Delhi, which was priced at Rs 1 lakh.
Ratan Tata Retirement
- Ratan Tata took over the command of Tata Company for 21 years. Under the leadership of Ratan Tata, the Tata Group increased its market share by up to 40% and profits by 50%.
- Ratan Tata resigned from the Tata group on 28 December 2012 at the age of 75. He was followed by Cyrus Mistry, the 44-year-old son of Pallonji Mistry of the Shapoorji Pallonji Group, to head the Tata Group.
- In the year 2016, Cyrus Mistry was fired from the company due to some reason.
- Ratan Tata again took the responsibility of handling the Tata Group from the year 2016 to 2017 on his shoulders.
- In the year 2017, Natarajan Chandrasekaran was given the responsibility of Tata Group, which he is still handling.
Interesting Facts About Ratan Tata
- With 100 companies, the Tata Group is the fifth largest company in the world. Tatas sell everything from tea to 5 star hotels, from needles to steel, from cars to airplanes
- Ratan Tata loves pets, he has given his Mumbai’s 400 crores Bangla for the care of pet dogs, second he likes to fly planes, he also has a license.
- Ratan Tata loves his employees very much. Working in Tata is no less than a government job.
- Ratan Tata gave his 21 years to the Tata Group and in these 21 years made the company to the top. The value of the company increased by 50 times. ,
- In the year 2008, on the day of 26/11, all the people who were injured in the Taj Hotel in the Taj Hotel in Mumbai by terrorists were treated by Tata.
- Tata helped all the people who had suffered losses in the 26/11 terrorist attack, who had set up a small shop around the hotel.
- Salary was given to the employees for the number of days the Taj Hotel was closed during the 26/11 terrorist attack.
Awards & Honors
- 2000- Padma Bhushan
- 2008- Padma Vibhushan
- 2009 – Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) – Queen Elizabeth II
- 2009- Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic- Government of Italy
- 2012-Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun- Government of Japan
- 2016-Commander of the Legion of Honor- Government of France
Ratan Tata House
Ratan Tata property is sea-facing is located in Colaba. Ratan Tata house address is part of one of the posh neighbourhoods in Mumbai. Tata residence is worth Rs 150 crores and covers a mammoth 13,350 sq ft across three stories and seven levels. This Ratan Tata house was built as a retirement home for Ratan Tata, after he stepped down as group chairman of Tata Sons in December 2012.
Ratan Tata house: Key features
- The lavish Tata home has dedicated dining, living and private bedrooms, along with its own state-of-the-art media room and a well-equipped gymnasium.
- The basement of the Tata house Colaba can accommodate around 10-12 cars, simultaneously.
- Tata house Mumbai is only 20 minutes away by car from Bombay House, the headquarters of Tata Sons.
- The top floor of Tata House Mumbai has a sun deck, which can house up to 50 people at a time.
- Colonial architectural themes permeate the structure, with its white-coloured ceiling and walls, along with expansive glass windows.
- The three-storeyed Ratan Tata house Colaba comes with a kitchen, study room, living room and a bedroom on the ground floor.
- One is greeted to the living room with the majestic symmetric staircase that has beautiful ornate railings.
- The three other floors of Ratan Tata house Mumbai come with two levels with a level containing a living room and a library, along with three bedrooms.
- The first level of Ratan Tata’s lavish mansion has its own media room, personal gymnasium and one bedroom.
- The second level has an infinity pool and a sun deck with a bar and barbeque zone.
- The Colaba post office is just opposite Ratan Tata’s plush property.
- The ground floor is elevated at a few feet from the ground.