S. Jaishankar is a former diplomat who is serving as the current Minister of External Affairs in the Government of India from 31 May 2019, having previously served as Foreign Secretary from January 2015 to January 2018.
He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1977. He had previously served as Indian Ambassador to the United States (2014–2015), China (2009–2013) and the Czech Republic (2001–04), and as High Commissioner to Singapore (2007– 09). Jaishankar also played a key role in negotiating the Indo-US civilian nuclear agreement.
S. Jaishankar Biography & Wiki
|S. Jaishankar Full Name||Subrahmanyam Jaishankar|
|Profession||Former Diplomat, Politician|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|S. Jaishankar Height||In Centimeter- 165 cm|
In Meter- 1.65 m
In Feet- 5’5”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 65 kg |
In Pound- 143 lbs
|Date Of Birth||9 January 1955 (Sunday)|
|S. Jaishankar Age (2022)||67 Years|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Capricorn|
|Home town||New Delhi|
|School||Air Force Central School, New Delhi|
|College/University||St. Stephen’s College, New DelhiJNU, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation From St.Stephen’s College, New Delhi|
MA in Political Science and an M.Phil. and PhD in International Relations from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), where he specialized in nuclear diplomacy.
|S. Jaishankar Wife||Kyoko Jaishankar|
|Children||Son– Dhruva Jaishankar, Arjun Jaishankar|
Daughter– Medha Jaishankar
|Parents||Father– K. Subramanyam (Civil Servant)|
|Sibling||Brother– Sanjay Subramanyam (Historian), S. Vijay Kumar (Former Rural Development Secretary Of India)|
|S. Jaishankar Salary||1 Lakh INR + Other Allowances|
Family, Early Life and Education
S. Jaishankar was born 9 January 1955 in New Delhi, India to prominent Indian strategic and civil servant K. Subrahmanyam and Sulochana.
Jaishankar did his schooling from The Air Force School, Subroto Park, New Delhi, and is a graduate in Chemistry from St. Stephen’s College at the University of Delhi. He has an MA in Political Science and an M.Phil. and PhD in International Relations from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), where he specialized in nuclear diplomacy. He is currently serving as Minister of External Affairs within the Government of India.
Jaishankar is married to Kyoko, who is of Japanese origin and has two sons—Dhruva and Arjun—and a daughter, Medha. He speaks Russian, English, Tamil, Hindi, conversational Japanese, Chinese and some Hungarian.
- Joining the Indian Foreign Service in 1977, Jaishankar served as third secretary and second secretary in the Indian mission to the Soviet Union in Moscow from 1979 to 1981.
- From 1985 to 1988 he was the first secretary at the Indian embassy in Washington, D.C. From 1988 to 1990, he served in Sri Lanka as First Secretary and political adviser to the Indian Peacekeeping Force (IPKF).From 1990 to 1993, he was Counsellor (Commercial) at the Indian mission in Budapest
- Jaishankar was then Deputy Chief of Mission at the Indian Embassy in Tokyo from 1996 to 2000. In 2000, he was appointed India’s ambassador to the Czech Republic.
- From 2004 to 2007, Jaishankar was Joint Secretary (Americas) at the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi. In this capacity, he was involved in negotiating the US-India civil nuclear agreement and improving defense co-operation, including during relief operations following the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
- In 2006–2007, Jaishankar led the Indian team during the negotiations on the 123 Agreement with the United States.
- Jaishankar was reportedly considered for the post of India’s Foreign Secretary in 2013.
- From 2007 to 2009, Jaishankar served as India’s High Commissioner to Singapore. Jaishankar was India’s longest-serving ambassador to China(2009-13), with a four-and-a-half year term.In 2012, he became the first Indian ambassador in ten years to visit Tibet.
- Jaishankar was appointed as India’s Ambassador to United States in September 2013.
- Jaishankar was appointed as Foreign Secretary of India on 29 January 2015. The announcement of his appointment was made following a 28 January 2015 meeting of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet chaired by the PM Narendra Modi.
- On May 31, 2019, he was appointed to the Office of Minister of External Affairs.S. Jaishankar was sworn in as Cabinet minister on 30th May, 2019.
Awards and Honors
2019- Padma Shri