Shahbaz Sharif is a politician and the current Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly of Pakistan. He has been in the post since August 2018. He is also the current President of the Pakistan Muslim League-N. He loves to learn different languages like Urdu, Punjabi, Saraiki, Sindhi, Pashto, English, German, French and Arabic.
In his political career, he had previously served as the Chief Minister of Punjab (part of Pakistan) three times, which makes him the longest serving Chief Minister of Punjab.
On March 30, 2022, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Imran Khan, had effectively lost a majority in parliament and a signal was given by Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari that the opposition leader, Shahbaz Sharif, would be the leader of Pakistan. Could be the next prime minister.
Shahbaz Sharif Biography & Wiki
|Shahbaz Sharif Full Name||Mian Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif|
|Political Party||Pakistan Muslim League (N)|
|Shahbaz Sharif Height||In Centimeter- 171 cm|
In Meter- 1.71 m
In Feet- 5’6”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 80 kg |
In Pound- 176 lbs
|Date Of Birth||23 September 1951|
|Shahbaz Sharif Age (2022)||71 Years|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Libra|
|Home town||Lahore, Pakistan|
|College/University||Government College University, Lahore|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts (BA)|
|Shahbaz Sharif Wife (Wives)||Begum Nusrat Shahbaz (married 1973-1993 till death)|
Alia Honey (married 1993-1994)
Tehmina Durrani (Marriage 2003)
|Children||Son– Salman, Hamza|
Daughters– Khadija Shahbaz, Javeria and Rabia
|Parents||Father– Muhammad Sharif|
Mother– Shamim Akhtar
|Sibling||Brother– Abbas Sharif and Nawaz Sharif (Former Pakistani PM)|
|Shahbaz Sharif Net Worth (2022)||8.5 Billion USD|
Early Life and Education
Shahbaz Sharif was born on 23 September 1951 in Lahore, Pakistan. Shahbaz belongs to a family of Punjabis of Kashmiri origin.
His father, Muhammad Sharif, was a merchant who immigrated from Anantnag and settled in Jati Umra village in Punjab’s Amritsar district in the early 20th century. His mother’s family had come from Pulwama.
After the formation of Pakistan in 1947, his family moved from Amritsar- India to Lahore- Pakistan. His father followed the teachings of Ahl al-Hadith.
He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Government College University, Lahore. After graduating, he joined the Ittefaq group owned by his family. In 1985 he was elected President of the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
He married three times. First he married Nusrat Shahbaz in 1973. The couple had three daughters and two sons. After the death of Nusrat Shahbaz in 1993, Shahbaz Sharif married Aaliya Honey for the second time. They had a daughter, Khadija.
In the year 2003, he married for the third time to Tehmina Durrani. Nawaz Sharif’s daughter Maryam Nawaz is Shahbaz Sharif’s niece. One of his sons Hamza Shahbaz Sharif is also a part of politics.
- Shahbaz Sharif is a politician and the current Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly of Pakistan. He has been in the post since August 2018. He is also the current President of the Pakistan Muslim League-N.
- In his political career, he had previously served as the Chief Minister of Punjab thrice, which makes him the longest serving Chief Minister of Punjab.
- He is the brother of former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif. In 1988, he was elected to the Punjab Provincial Assembly and in 1990 to the National Assembly.
- In 1993, he was again elected to the Punjab Legislative Assembly and was named the Leader of the Opposition. In February 1997, he was elected as the Chief Minister of Punjab for the first time.
- In 1999, a military coup overthrew the government. He and his family spent years in self-exile in Saudi Arabia. In 2007, he returned to Pakistan.
- In the 2008 general elections, following the victory of the PML-N in the province, he was appointed chief minister for a second term. And for the third term, he was elected as the Chief Minister of Punjab in 2013 and completed his term till the defeat of his party in the 2018 general election.
- When his brother, Nawaz Sharif was disqualified from office, he was named as the President of the Pakistan Muslim League-N. Also, after the 2018 election, he was named as the Leader of the Opposition.
Tenure as Chief Minister of Punjab
- First term as Chief Minister of Punjab :- 20 February 1997 – 12 October 1999
- Second term as Chief Minister of Punjab: 8 June 2008 – 26 March 2013
- Third term as Chief Minister of Punjab: 8 June 2013 – 8 June 2018
Controversies and allegations of Shahbaz Sharif
- As per reports, the National Accountability Bureau sealed certain properties of Shehbaz and his two sons in December 2019 alleging money laundering. In the same case, he was arrested by the NAB in September 2020 and imprisoned pending trial. went. He was released on bail by the Lahore High Court in April 2021 in a money laundering case. Shahbaz Sharif moved a no-confidence motion against Imran Khan on March 28, 2022. It is believed that Sharif may become the next Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- In 1999, a complainant, Saeeduddin, lodged an FIR and accused Shahbaz of allowing the Sabjazar police to kill his son in a fake encounter with others as the Chief Minister of Punjab. In the encounter, two of his sons and three others were killed by the police.
- In 2003, an anti-terrorism court summoned Shahbaz and five other accused in the 1998 murders. He was in exile at the time and failed to appear in court. Later the court issued an arrest warrant against Shahbaz. In 2004, Shahbaz attempted to return to Pakistan to appear in court, but was forcibly deported back to Saudi Arabia. In August 2007, the Supreme Court of Pakistan delivered its ruling that allowed the Sharif brothers to return to Pakistan. In September 2007, an anti-terrorism court in Pakistan ordered the police to arrest Shahbaz on the basis of a 2003 arrest warrant. He later got bail from an anti-terrorism court.