Shaktikanta Das is a 1980 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) retired officer of Tamil Nadu cadre. Currently serving as the 25th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Das was previously a member of the Fifteenth Finance Commission of India and the Sherpa of India in the G20.
During his career as an IAS officer, Das served in various capacities for Indian and Tamil Nadu governments, including as Economic Affairs Secretary, Revenue Secretary, Fertilizers Secretary. He has also served as India’s Alternate Governor in the World Bank, ADB, NDB & AIIB. He has represented India in various international forums like the IMF, G20, BRICS, SAARC, etc.
Shaktikanta Das Bio/Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Shaktikanta Das|
|Profession||Retd. Civil Servant (IAS)|
|Famous For||Being The 25th Governor Of RBI|
|Shaktikanta Das Height||In Centimeter- 170 cm |
In Meter- 1.70 m
In Feet- 5’7”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 60 kg |
In Pound- 132 lbs
|Date Of Birth||26 February 1957|
|Shaktikanta Das Age (2022)||65 Years|
|Birthplace||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Pisces|
|Home town||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|School||Demonstration Multipurpose School, Bhubaneswar|
|College/University||St. Stephin College, Delhi University|
National Institute Of Bank Management, Pune
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Shaktikanta Das Net Worth||Not Known|
|Shaktikanta Das Salary Per Month||2.87 lakh including DA and otherallownces|
Shaktikanta Das Education & Early Life
Shaktikanta Das was born on 26 February 1957 in Orissa. He did his early education in Multi Purpose School, Bhubaneswar. He then obtained his Bachelor’s (BA) and Master’s degree (MA) in History from St. Stephen’s College in Delhi University.
He did Advanced Financial Management Course from IIM Bangalore and Development Banking and Institutional Credit from NIBM. He also received in-service professional training in Financial Management at the Institute of Public Enterprises.
He holds a Diploma in Basic Project Management from Administrative Staff College of India and Mid-career level training from IIM Calcutta along with two program implementation courses from Himachal Pradesh Institute of Public Administration and Institute of Management in Govt.
Das served in various positions for both the Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu, like as Principal Secretary (Industries), Special Commissioner (Revenue), Secretary (Revenue), Secretary Commercial Taxes, the project director of Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society and as the district magistrate and collector of Dindigul and Kancheepuram districts in the Tamil Nadu government and as Union Economic Affairs Secretary, Union Revenue Secretary, Union Fertilizers Secretary, Special secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs of the Ministry of Finance and as a joint secretary in the Department of Expenditure of the Ministry of Finance in the Indian government.
Das also had a stint with Mahindra Industrial Park Ltd (Mahindra World City), on deputation to a private sector company under Rule 6(2)(ii) of the Indian Administrative Service (Cadre) Rules, 1954.
Das was appointed Union Revenue Secretary by the prime minister-led-Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) in June 2014, he assumed the office of Secretary on 16 June 2014, and demitted it on 31 August 2015.
Economic Affairs Secretary
Das was appointed Union Economic Affairs Secretary by the ACC in August 2014, he assumed the office of Secretary on 31 August 2015, and admitted it and simultaneously superannuated from service on 28 May 2017, after being given a three-month extension by the government.
During his tenure as Union Economic Affairs Secretary, Das was widely regarded as one of the most powerful civil servants in India.
Post his retirement from the IAS, Das was appointed a member of the Fifteenth Finance Commission by the ACC.In addition, he was appointed as India’s Sherpa to the G20 by the ACC. In December 2018, on his appointment as the governor of the Reserve Bank of India, Das resigned from his position in the Fifteenth Finance Commission.
Governor of Reserve Bank of India
Das was appointed Governor of the Reserve Bank of India by the ACC on 11 December 2018 for a period of three years, replacing Urjit Patel who had resigned the day before. (Interview of Shri Shaktikanta Das, RBI Governor by CNBC TV18)
Some Facts About Shaktikanta Das
- Shaktikanta Das was an IAS officer of the 1980 batch and was part of the Tamil Nadu cadre. He is originally from Odisha.
- He began his service in 1982 and served in a number departments of the Tamil Nadu government, with multiple stints in the Finance Department. From 2008, he served in the Union government on Central deputation.
- Through his career in the IAS, he served more than 15 years in finance. He served in the Finance Department of the Tamil Nadu government for a cumulative seven years. He then spent a cumulative eight years in different departments of the Ministry of Finance in the Centre.
- Of his long tenure in finance, Das served three years at the very top of the economic and finance policy structure – over a year as Revenue Secretary and just under two years as Economic Affairs Secretary.
- He is widely recognized across the country for his regular appearance on televised press conferences as Economic Affairs Secretary after the demonetisation of November 2016. He is often recalled as the officer who delivered information in a simple and crisp manner in English and Hindi, and on occasion even in Tamil in response to a reporter.
- Das has undergone mid-career courses and training programs at the National Institute of Bank Management (NIBM), the Administrative Staff College in Hyderabad, IIM-Bangalore and IIM-Calcutta.