Shankar Mahadevan is an Indian musician and singer. Shankar Mahadevan is a Trio Group. Who has Shankar, Ehsaan, Loy. Madevan has been awarded the National Award four times, the award for Best Male Playback Singer and Best Music Director thrice. Mahadevan provides music education to students around the world through an online music academy.
Shankar Mahadevan Bio/Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Shankar Mahadevan|
|Debut||Singer– Breathless (1998)|
TV– Ek Se Badhkar Ek (1996)
Actor– Katyar Kaljat Ghusali (2015)
|Height||In Centimetre- 168 cm|
In Metre- 1.68 m
In Feet- 5’6”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 80 kg |
In Pound- 176 lbs
|Body Measurement||Chest- 43 Inches|
Waist- 38 Inches
Biceps- 13 Inches
|Date Of Birth||3 March 1967|
|Shankar Mahadevan Age (2021)||54 Years|
|Birthplace||Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Home town||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|School||Our Lady of Perpetual Succour High School, Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|College/University||Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology, Mumbai University, Mumbai.|
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech (CS)|
|Shankar Mahadevan Wife||Sangeeta Mahadevan |
|Children||Shankar Mahadevan Son- 2|
Siddharth Mahadevan, Shivam Mahadevan
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known|
Mother- Name Not Known
|Sibling||Brother- Name Not Known|
Sister- Name Not Known
|Net worth (2021)||10 Million USD|
|Charges Per Movie||N/A|
Family, Early Life and Education
Shankar Mahadevan was born 3 March 1967 in Chembur, Mumbai into a Tamil speaking family from Palakkad, Kerala. He learned Hindustani classical and Carnatic music as a child, and began playing the veena at the age of five under Shri Lalitha Venkataraman. Mahadevan studied music under Pandit Shrinivas Khale and T.R. Balamani.
He is an alumnus of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour High School, Chembur and graduated in 1988 with a degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering from the Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology in Navi Mumbai, affiliated to Mumbai University, and was a software engineer for the company, Leading Edge.
Shankar Mahadevan Career
Mahadevan’s career started with his debut album Breathless in 1998. His album Kai became famous as well as through this album he became recognized in Hindi cinema. He then formed a trio with two of his friends Ehsan and Loy. Madevan received his first National Award for the Tamil movie Kandukondain-Kandukondain with AR Rahman. School Chale Hum on Doordarshan was directed by Mahadevan.
He has also appeared as a judge in the ZEE TV musical reality show Sa Re-Ga-Ma-Pa Challenge 2009. Apart from this, he has appeared as a mentor, judge in the Star Plus show Musical Maha Muqabla. Along with this, his team was also victorious in this show. In the year 2011, Mahadevan started Shankar Mahadevan Online Academy. Through this online academy, Shankar teaches music to students around the world.
Awards and Honours
Shankar Mahadevan has won 21 awards – Filmfare Award in 2015, Filmfare Award in 2006, Filmfare Award in 2004, Filmfare Award in 2002, Filmfare Award – Telugu in 2006, IIFA in 2015, IIFA in 2015, IIFA in 2014, IIFA in 2011, IIFA in 2006, IIFA in 2006, IIFA in 2004, IIFA in 2004, IIFA in 2004, Mirchi Music Award in 2017, Mirchi Music Award in 2015, Mirchi Music Award in 2015, National Award in 2012, National Award in 2007, National Award in 2003 and National Award in 2000.
Some Facts About Shankar Mahadevan
- Before choosing a full fledged career in music, Shankar worked as a software programmer in Oracle.
- He won an unprecedented four National Film Awards. He was named Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Bolo Na” in 2012.He won the prestigious National Award for the songs “Yenna Solla Pogirai” (Kandukondain Kandukondain), Kal Ho Naa Ho (as part of Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy) , “Maa” (Taare Zameen Par), “Bolo Na” (Chittagong). He is also a receipient of the Kerala State Film Award for the song “Kalyaana Kacheri” from Mohanlal starrer “Madampi.”
- Mahadevan came into limelight after his music album Breathless was released in 1998. The album’s USP was its title track that was engineered to seem to be sung in one breath, hence its title.
- Mahadevan has also sung for Remember Shakti, featuring Zakir Hussain, Chandan Sharma, John McLaughlin, U. Srinivas and V. Selvaganesh.
- Mahadevan has dabbled into music direction with two of his associates guitarist Ehsaan Noorani and pianist Loy Mendosa and has composed some of the most famous songs of bollywood e.g. Kal Ho Na Ho, Dil Chahta Hai,ZNMD,Rock On
- Shankar Mahadevan has done a jugalbandi in Raag Yaman with the likes of Ustad Rashid Khan Saheb, the doyen of Hindustani classical music.
- Mahadevan is also an excellent cook. His wife believes if he had not been a singer, he would have been a chef.
- Shankar launched the Shankar Mahadevan Academy along with Sridhar Ranganathwith in 2011 which provided live teachers for vocal courses in Carnatic and Hindustani classical music, religious chanting, Indian folk music and Bollywood songs.
- Shankar has also acted in a Marathi film Katyar Kaljat Ghusali in 2015 and a Doordrshan serial Ek se badhkar ek in 1996.
- He was invited by UNESCO and the US State Department to perform at the UN General Assembly hall for the finale of the International Jazz Festival on 30 April 2012.
- Shankar Mahadevan Academy was founded under the guidance and leadership of Padma Shri Shankar Mahadevan and his friend & technopreneur Sridhar Ranganathan. Shankar’s vision for the Academy is to make learning of all styles of Indian music easy, accessible and fun.