Shekhar Kapur is an Indian film director, actor, and film producer, known for his works in Hindi cinema and international cinema. Kapur became known in Bollywood with his recurring role in the TV series Khandan in the mid-1980s and his directorial debut in the cult Bollywood film Masoom in 1983, which won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie for that year. He gained international recognition with the 1994 Bollywood film Bandit Queen.
Shekhar Kapur Bio/Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Shekhar Kapur|
|Profession||Actor, Director, Producer|
|Debut||Film– Ishq Ishq Ishq (1974)|
TV– Udaan (1989-91)
Director– Masoom (1983, Bollywood)
– Elizabeth (Hollywood)
Producer– Dil Se (1998)
|Height||In Centimeter- 175 cm|
In Meter- 1.75 m
In Feet- 5’9”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 70 kg |
In Pound- 154 lbs
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date Of Birth||6 December 1945|
|Shekhar Kapur Age (2021)||76 Years|
|Birthplace||Lahore, Punjab, British India|
|Home town||Delhi, India|
|School||Modern School, New Delhi|
|College/University||St. Stephin College, New Delhi|
|Hobbies||Writing, Reading Books, Cycling, Photography|
|Affairs/Girlfriend||Shabana Azmi (Actress)|
Preity Zinta (Actress, Rumoured)
|Children||Daughter– Kaveri Kapur|
|Parents||Father– Kulbhushan Kapur (Doctor)|
Mother– Sheel Kanta Kapur (Journalist)
Neelu Kapur, Aruna Sahni, Sohaila Kapur
|Net worth (2021)||25 Million USD|
Family, Early Life and Education
Shekhar Kulbhushan Kapoor was born on 6 December 1945 in Lahore, Punjab, British India, in a Punjabi Hindu family to Kulbhushan Kapoor, a doctor with a flourishing practice, and his wife Sheel Kanta Kapoor
Kapur attended Modern School of New Delhi. He studied economics at St. Stephen’s College. At 22, he became a Chartered Accountant with the ICAEW in England, having studied accountancy at the behest of his parents
Shekhar Kapur was married to Medha Gujral, niece of former Indian Prime Minister I. K. Gujral. They split in 1994.
Kapur then married Suchitra Krishnamoorthi, an Indian actress, writer, painter and singer in 1997. They are divorced. They have a daughter named Kaveri Kapur. Kapur has a sister named sohaila kapur who played mother of sushmita sen in aarya
Shekhar Kapur Career
Kapur started his career as an actor in the movie Jaan Hazir Hai (1975) and later in Toote Khilone, in Bollywood. He appeared in several Hindi television dramas, such as Udaan (Doordarshan), opposite Kavita Chaudhary, Upanyaas (Doordarshan) opposite Nisha Singh, and Masoom opposite Neena Gupta.
He turned director with the family drama Masoom (1983), starring Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi and a young Jugal Hansraj & Urmila Matondkar.
He then directed the 1987 science-fiction film Mr. India, starring Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Amrish Puri in his most famous role as the villain Mogambo. Puri’s most famous dialogue in this film “Mogambo Khush Hua” is still remembered.
In 2013, Kapur hosted the TV show Pradhanmantri on ABP News. On the show, which aims to bring never-seen-before facets of Indian history, he was the narrator.
He served as a judge on the reality TV series India’s Got Talent, aired on Colors.
In 2016, Kapur delivered an autobiographical film and documentary about Amma, well known as Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, called “The Science of Compassion”.
In 1998, he received international recognition for the second time after Bandit Queen, when he directed the Academy Award-winning period film Elizabeth, a fictional account of the reign of British Queen Elizabeth I nominated for seven Oscars. The 2007 sequel, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, was nominated for two Oscars.
In 2006, Kapur formed Liquid Comics and Virgin Animation, an entertainment company focused on creating new stories and characters for a global audience. The Shakti titles of Kapur and Deepak Chopra’s company debuted with Devi and The Sadhu
He has announced that he will direct Little Dragon, an authorized biopic of martial arts legend Bruce Lee.
Awards and Honors
- Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, in 2000.
- BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film – Elizabeth (1998)
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi (director) – Bandit Queen (1994)
- Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie – Bandit Queen (1994)
Some Facts About Shekhar Kapur
- He studied accountancy at the behist of his parents and at the age of 22, became a chartered accountant with ICAEW in England.
- At the age of 24, he left his job as an accountant and a management consultant to pursue his artistic interests.
- He never considered directing films earlier, but it was his failure to establish himself as an actor that made him take to direction.
- His historical biopics on Queen Elizabeth ‘Elizabeth’ and ‘Elizabeth: The Golden Age’ won the BAFTA Award for Best Film, and two Academy Award nominations. He has been the recipient of the Padma Shri, the National Film award and three Filmfare awards, among others.
- Shekhar Kapur had offered the role of ‘Mr India’ to Rajesh Khanna first, who turned it down because he couldn’t relate to the invisible hero.
- Shekhar Kapur made the critically-acclaimed ‘Bandit Queen’ in 60 days and played a cameo in the film as a truck driver.
- He shot Tina’s funeral scene in ‘Mr India’ while she was sleeping as she could not control her laughter in the scene.
- He is an ardent fan of AR Rahman and calls him ‘The Mozart of Madras’.
- He had a seven-year long relationship with Shabana Azmi.
- He divorced Medha to marry Suchitra Krishnamoorthi, whom he divorced after 8 years of marriage. Medha, who passed away on November 24, 2014, was married to devotional singer Anup Jalota.
1 thought on “Shekhar Kapur Height, Weight, Age, Wife, Biography & More”