Shivraj Singh Chouhan is an Indian politician and member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. He is the 17th and current Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, having been elected to the same position 3 times in the past, and a Member of Legislative Assembly in Madhya Pradesh from Budhni.
He is also currently serving as a National Vice-President, member of the Parliamentary Board and a member of the Central Election Committee of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Shivraj Singh Chouhan Biography & Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
|Nick Name||Mama (Fondly Called In Madhya Pradesh)|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Shivraj Singh Chouhan Height||In Centimeter- 175 cm |
In Meter- 1.75 m
In Feet- 5’9”
|Date Of Birth||5 march 1959 (Thursday)|
|Shivraj Singh Chouhan Age (2022)||63 Years|
|Birthplace||Village Jait in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh.|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Pisces|
|Home town||Budhni, Madhya Pradesh|
|College/University||Barkatullah University, Bhopal|
|Educational Qualification||MA Philosophy|
|Shivraj Singh Chouhan Wife||Sadhana Singh|
|Children||Son– Kartikey Chouhan, Kunal Chouhan|
|Parents||Father– Prem Singh Chouhan |
Mother– Sundar Bai Chouhan
|Sibling||Brother– Narendra Singh Chouhan, Surjit Singh Chouhan|
|Favorite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Shivraj Singh Chouhan (2022)||₹ 7 Crore (2013)|
|Salary (as a Chief Minister Of MP)||₹ 2.55 lakh/ Month|
Family, Early Life and Education
Shivraj Singh Chouhan was born on March 5, 1959, into a middle-class farmer’s family of Shri Prem Singh Chouhan and Smt. Sundar Bai Chouhan at village Jait in Sehore district of central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. Jait is a small village situated on the banks of river Narmada.
In his childhood days, young Shivraj used to spend a lot of time swimming and playing in the serene waters of river Narmada and created a special bond with it. His emotional attachment with the Narmada comes to the fore as he makes concentrated efforts to preserve the river and her ecosystem.
Shivraj Singh Chouhan Career
- He joined Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) in the early 70s. In the year 1975, at the age of 16, he was elected as the President of Model Higher Secondary School Students’ Union. His excellent oratory skills and sound awareness of state and national level socio-economic and political issues made him a popular student leader. His involvement in student politics never interfered with his studies, and he earned Gold Medal in Masters of Philosophy from Barkatulla University, Bhopal.
- Shivraj Singh joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) as a volunteer during the same time and since then has been an active social worker and a popular leader. He actively participated in the underground movement against Emergency and was imprisoned in 1976-77 for nine months along with senior RSS and Bharatiya Jan Sangh leaders. He became the youngest person to be arrested under Maintenance of Internal Security Act (MISA). His interaction with senior leaders during his jail stay helped in shaping up his leadership and vision at an early age. He was deeply influenced by the ‘Antyoday philosophy’ of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
- He was made ‘Sangathan Mantri’ of ABVP after his release from jail post emergency. Soon after lifting of the emergency, elections followed, and Shivraj Chouhan became the star campaigner for Bhartiya Jan Sangh.
- In 1984 Shri Chouhan became State Minister of ABVP and then Mahamantri. In 1988 he became President of ABVP for Madhya Pradesh.
- At the young age of 31, Shri Shivraj was elected to the state legislative assembly from Budhni constituency in 1990. He defeated his nearest Congress rival by over 22,000 votes.
- In the year 1991, after Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee resigned from Vidisha parliamentary seat, Shivraj Singh Chouhan was made BJP candidate, and he won the seat becoming one of the youngest MPs. In the year 1992, he became the General Secretary of Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
- He was re-elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from Vidisha in 1996. During this period he was an active member of various Lok Sabha committees on Urban and Rural Development, Human Resource Development, Hindi Salahkar Samiti and Labor Welfare.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan scored a hat trick in the 12th Lok Sabha elections in 1998 and fourth consecutive victory into 13th Lok Sabha in 1999. During this period, he was an active member of Committees on Agriculture and Public Undertakings.
- Continuing his service to the society and people of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan registered the 5th victory into the 14th Lok Sabha consecutive in 2004.
- Shivraj Singh was appointed President of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Madhya Pradesh in 2005. On November 29, 2005, he was elected as the Chief Minister of the state. The following year he won the by-election to the Assembly from Budhni, from where he began his political journey in 1990.
- In the year 2008, he led the party to its second consecutive victory in the state elections and assumed the office of the Chief Minister on December 12, 2008.
- In the year 2013, Shivraj Singh led BJP to a third successive victory in the state and became Chief Minister for third straight time taking oath on December 14, 2013. He is the longest serving Chief Minister of the state.
- On 12 December 2018, after failing to gain a majority in the 2018 Madhya Pradesh assembly election, Chouhan resigned as Chief Minister. He once again took oath as the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh on 23 March 2020 after 22 Congress MLA’s resigned along with Jyotiraditya Scindia resulting in the collapse of the Kamal Nath government.