Sonu Nigam is a famous Indian background singer and music director. His style is considered to be similar to that of the legendary singer Mohammad Rafi, which is why he is often considered the “modern Rafi”. Possessing exceptional melodious voice and amazing versatility, Sonu Nigam can be called as one of the best singers of recent times. Starting from a very young age, Sonu has not only excelled as a playback singer but has also experimented with different styles with ease. Till now he has sung more than 2000 songs in about 10 different languages. Sonu is one of the highest paid people in Bollywood as a background singer. Sonu Nigam has been honored by the Government of India with the fourth-highest civilian award Padma Shri on the 73rd Republic Day.
Sonu Nigam Bio/Wiki
|Real Name/Full Name||Sonu Nigam|
|Profession||Singer, Music Director|
|Height||In Centimetre- 170 cm|
In Metre- 1.70 m
In Feet- 5’7”
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Date Of Birth||30 July 1973|
|Sonu Nigam Age (2021)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Faridabad, Haryana, India|
|Home town||Delhi, India|
|School||J.D. Tyler School, Delhi|
|College/University||University Of Delhi, Delhi.|
|Sonu Nigam Wife||Madhurima Nigam|
|Sonu Nigam Son||Son- Nevaan|
|Parents||Father- Agam Kumar Nigam |
Mother- Shobha Nigam
Sister- Meenal & Neekita
|Net worth (2021)||50 Million USD|
|Charges Per Song||9 to 10 Lakh INR|
Family & Wife
Sonu Nigam was born on 30 July 1973 in Faridabad city of Haryana to father Agam Kumar Nigam and mother Shobha Nigam. His father’s name is Agam Kumar Nigam who hails from Agra and is also a Bollywood singer. His mother’s name is Shobha Nigam who hails from Garhwal.
Sonu married Madhurima Nigam on 15 February 2002 and they both have a son named Nevan.
Early Life and Education
When Sonu was only four years old, he joined his father Agam Kumar Nigam on stage to sing Mohammed Rafi’s song “Kya Hua Tera Vaada”.
Sonu’s training started from home. He grew up learning the nuances of music from his father. He took training in classical music from Ustad Maha Kanjar Naveed in Delhi.
Sonu did his early studies in J.D.Tytler School, Delhi. After that he joined Delhi University, New Delhi to complete his further studies from where he obtained his bachelor’s degree.
Sonu Nigam Career
Sonu got his first break for background singing in a film “Janam” in 1990 but unfortunately the film was not released.
Her career began when she sang back to back hit song ‘Sandese Aate Hain’ in the 1997 film ‘Border’, for which she won a Zee Cine Award.
She also sang the song ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ from the 2004 film ‘Yeh Dil’ in ‘Pardes’ (1999). She collaborated as a singer with the Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy trio for the song ‘Tanhai’ from the super successful ‘Dil Chahta Hai’.
He won the hearts of the audience by giving his voice in romantic songs like ‘Suraj Hua Madhyam’ from the movie ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’.
Apart from Hindi, he has also found great success in Kannada film industry. Till now he has sung more than 600 songs in Kannada language.
In 1992, he released an album ‘Rafi Ki Yaadein’ consisting of covers of famous Mohammad Rafi songs. In 2007 he released another collection of Rafi songs titled ‘Kal Aaj Aur Kal’ with over 100 songs in six disc format. He also released a two-disc collection of Rafi’s songs titled ‘Rafi Recreated’ in 2008.
His album Deewana released in 1999 under the label of T-Series was a huge success. His other original albums like ‘Jaan’ and ‘Chanda Ki Doli’ were released in 2000 and 2005 respectively.
Sonu Nigam has also contributed as a music composer and has worked in Bollywood films such as ‘Singh Saab the Great’ (2013), ‘Jal’ (2014), ‘Happy Anniversary’ (2016), ‘Tum Jo Mil Gaye Ho’. (2016) and has also composed music for many songs.
Apart from the melodious voice, Sonu is also blessed with scintillating looks. He has acted in films like ‘Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani’ (2002), ‘Kash Aap Humare Hota’ (2003) and ‘Love in Nepal’ (2004). These films did not do well at the box office and Sonu did not pursue acting.
Awards and Honors
Sonu Nigam is the winner of several awards including 1 National Award, 2 Filmfare Awards in Hindi & 2 Filmfare Awards South. He has received 16 nominations for Filmfare best playback singer, and record winner of 4 times (9 nominations) for IFAA Award for Best Male playback singer and received Oscar Academy Awards nomination in 2014 for soundtrack of Jal (film) composed by Sonu Nigam and Bickram Ghosh together
- National Film Award for Best Background Singer for the song “Kal Ho Na Ho” from the movie Kal Ho Na Ho (2003)
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Saathiya” from the movie Saathiya (2002)
- Filmfare Award for Best Playback Singer for the song “Kal Ho Na Ho” from the film Kal Ho Na Ho (2003)
- Received Haryana Gaurav Samman by Haryana Government.
- 2022- Padma Shri by Government Of India
Some Facts About Sonu Nigam
- Sonu Nigam performed for the first time on stage at the age of three! He sang his first song Kya Hua Tera Wada on with his father at a live show.
- Sonu is a master of regional languages. He can sing in Hindi, Bengali, Oriya, Kannada, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, English, Bhojpuri, Urdu, Nepali and Marathi, with clear enunciation.
- Sonu’s first album Kismat with the music label Magna Sound was an astounding success. The album was a platinum hit and the label followed up his success by signing him again for a Bhajan album titled Sanskaar.
- Sonu won his first Filmfare awards in 1999 for the track Ishq Bina in Taal composed by AR Rahman. He won his first National Film Award as Best Male Playback Singer for the title track of Kal Ho Naa Ho. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy composed for this Karan Johar film.
- Sonu’s film debut was as a child actor in 1983 film Betaab. As an adult, he made his acting debut in a lead role opposite Juhi Babbar in 2004 movie Love in Nepal. He was also part of films like Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani and Kash Aap Hamare Hote.
- In 2006, Sonu has a show to himself on Radiocity 91.1 FM titled Life Ki Dhun with Sonu Nigam, where interviewed musicians, including Lata Mangeshkar in the episode aired last.
- Sonu was reported to be working on an English album called Spirit Unfolding and on a project called Time Travel,where his voice will be aligned with recordings of other singers in Hindi songs. He has also sung a song produced by famous international house music producer David Guetta.