Suriya is an Indian film actor, film producer and TV presenter. He is known for his work in Tamil cinema. He started his film career with Nerekku Ner (1997), after which he worked in many successful films and gave many big hits one after the other, including Yeh, Nanda (2001), Kak Kak (2003), Perajahagan. (2004), Ghajini (2005), Varnam Aayiram (2008), Ayaan (2009), Singham (2010), Singham 2 (2013), Singham 3 and Anjaan (2014). As of 2010, he has won three Tamil Nadu State Film Awards and three Filmfare Awards South. And his journey continues.
Suriya Biography & Wiki
|Suriya Full Name||Saravanan Sivakumar|
|Debut Movie||Nerrukku Nur (1997)|
|Suriya Height||In Centimeter- 170 cm|
In Meter- 1.70 m
In Feet- 5’7”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 72 kg |
In Pound- 159 lbs
|Body Measurement||Chest- 40 Inches|
Waist- 32 Inches
Biceps- 13 Inches
|Date Of Birth||23 July 1975 (Wednesday)|
|Suriya Age (2022)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Cancer|
|Home town||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||PSBB Millennium School, Coimbatore |
St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai
|College/University||Loyola College, Chennai|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor Of Commerce|
|Suriya Wife||Jyothika (Actress)|
|Marriage Date||11 September 2006 (Monday)|
|Parents||Father– Sivakumar (Actor)|
Mother– Lakshmi Sivakumar
|Sibling||Brother– Karthik Sivakumar (Younger) (Actor)|
Sister– Brindha Sivakumar
|Food||Curd Rice & Pickle, Dosa, Thai Cuisine|
|Actor||Kamal Hassan & Rajinikanth|
|Suriya Kumar Net Worth (2022)||25 Million USD|
Family, Early Life and Education
Suriya was born on 23 July 1975 in Chennai in the house of very popular Actors Shiv Kumar in Tamil cinema. Suriya’s father Shiv Kumar has played lead and supporting roles in many Tamil films. And in the seventies and eighties, he has played a lead role in some such films. In which actors like Kamal Hussain and Rajinikanth appeared in supporting roles in his films.
Suriya did his schooling at The PSBB Millennium School, Coimbatore and Completed from St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai, Chennai. Later on, Surya completed his B.Com from Loyola College, Chennai.
Suriya is married to Jyothika. The couple, after being together for several years, got married on 11 September 2006. They have two children. (Suriya Jyothika)
His debut film, Nerrukku Ner (1997) with Vijay was a big hit; But all his succeeding films did not do well. His first reasonable success was in the movie called Friends. But he did not get any big breaks and his career seemed to be stalled until director Bala approached him for a role in his next venture titled Nandha. This was his first solo hit and Suriya won his first Filmfare award for best actor for this movie.
Suriya’s next venture was with Vikraman in the movie Unnai Ninathu and the movie was able to record good collections. This was followed by Mounam Pesiyadhe, which also did decently well. Suriya’s second blockbuster was Kaakha Kaakha, a movie about the life of a police officer.
This movie raised the profile of Suriya tremendously and made him a huge star overnight. This was also the movie that fueled intense speculation of his relationship with fellow co-star Jyothika.
In the movie Perazhagan, Suriya acted in two roles, one as a boxer and the other as a handicapped but a confident phone booth keeper. His role as the handicapped was praised by critics, and he received a Filmfare Award for Best Actor for his performance.
In 2005, Surya delivered more successful films in the form of Aaru and Ghajini – afterwards he set up a production company called Studio Green along with his cousin K.E.Gnavelraja. Ghajini was one of the most sensational hits of 2005,
Suriya’s 2006 release is Sillunu Oru Kaadhal. He acted opposite his real-life partner Jyothika in the film. The film was an average grosser.
In 2007, Suriya’s solitary release was Vel, where he was paired with Asin Thottumkal. The film became a hit at the box-office. From here, he started doing movies for all A,B & C center audiences.
In 2008, he appeared in Vaaranam Aayiram directed by Gautham Menon. He won several awards. Suriya played dual roles, of a son and a father, ranging from 17 to 75 years.
His next film Ayan in 2009 was directed by K. V. Anand, which went on to become the highest grosser of that year in Tamil Nadu.
In 2010, he had his 25th release with Singam, directed by Hari, in which he played the role of a police officer.
He made his Bollywood debut in Ram Gopal Varma’s two-part political drama Rakta Charitra.
In 15 May 2015, Suriya released 36 Vayadhinile starring his wife Jyothika, the first film from his 2D Entertainment production company.
His film S3 was released on 9 February 2017 and emerged another ₹1 billion grosser.
His only release in 2018 was Thaana Serndha Kootam directed by Vignesh Shivan and produced by Studio Green with music done by Anirudh Ravichander with Keerthi Suresh as the female lead.
The first of his two releases in 2019, NGK, released on 31 May 2019. The second Kauppaan. Although the film received mixed reviews from critics, it ended up being a commercial success and yet another ₹1 billion grosser for the actor.
He played Justice K. Chandru in T. J. Gnanavel’s Jai Bhim. The film, an own production, was distributed by Amazon Prime Video on 2 November 2021. It is currently the highest rated film on IMDb and has a rating of 9.4/10. (Suriya Jai Bhim)
Awards and Honours
Surya has won many awards for his hard work and best acting. Not only this, he also has a tremendous craze from fans. Fans eagerly wait for each of his upcoming films.
- Filmfare Award For Best Actor – Tamil – 2009, 2005 Vaaranam Aayiram, Perazhagan
- Vijay Award For Best Actor -2009 · Vaaranam Aayiram
- Vijay Award For Entertainer Of The Year -2011, 2010 · Singam, Ayan, Aadhavan
- Filmfare Award For Best Supporting Actor – Tamil – 2004 Pithamagan
- Vijay Award For Icon Of The Year- 2008
- Nandi Award For Best Supporting Actor – 1997 · Sindhooram
Lesser Known Facts About Suriya
- Before his career in films, Surya worked at a garment export factory for eight months. To avoid nepotism, he did not reveal himself to his boss as Sivakumar’s son, but his boss ultimately learned the truth himself.
- After working in a garments export company during his formative years, he finally made his big-screen debut with director Vasanth’s ‘Nerrukku Ner’.
- Apart from acting, the star has also tried his hands at film production and playback singing. He has named his production house 2D Entertainment- first initials of his kids Diya and Dev.
- The stage name Suriya was bestowed to him by Ratnam to avoid a clash of names with established actor Saravanan. The name Suriya was frequently used for characters in Ratnam’s films.
- Suriya confessed that he struggled due to lack of confidence, memory power, fighting or dancing skills in his early career, but it was actor Raghuvaran, one of his mentors, who advised him to create his own identity, rather than stay under his father’s shadow .
- His major break in acting came in the form of Nandha, which was directed by Bala. Playing the role of an ex-convict who is very attached to his mother, he received a Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.
- He gained massive popularity with films like ‘Ghajini’, ‘Vaaranam Aayiram’ and ‘Singam’. He is at present a force to be reckoned with. HIs Singam series is the biggest blockbuster series of Tamil cinema.
1 thought on “Suriya (Actor) Wiki, Age, Height, Family, Wife, Biography & More”