Volodymyr Zelensky is a Ukrainian politician, and former actor and comedian, who is the sixth and current president of Ukraine.
Volodymyr Zelensky Biography & Wiki
|Volodymyr Zelensky||Volodymyr Zelensky|
|Volodymyr Zelensky Profession||Politician, former actor and comedian|
|Post Held||6th President of Ukraine|
|Volodymyr Zelensky Height||In Centimeter- 177.8 cm|
In Meter- 1.77 m
In Feet- 5’10”
|Weight||In Kilogram- 75 kg|
In Pound- 165 lbs
|Date Of Birth||25 January 1978|
|Volodymyr Zelensky Age (2022)||44 Years|
|Birthplace||Kryvyi Rih, then in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Aquarius|
|Home town||Kryvyi Rih|
|College/University||Kyiv National Economic University|
|Volodymyr Zelensky Wife||Olena Kiyashko(m. 2003)|
|Volodymyr Zelensky Children||Daughter– Aleksandra Zelenskaya (Born On 15 July 2004)|
Son– Kiril Zelenskiy (Born On 2013)
|Parents||Father – Oleksandr Zelenskyy (Professor)|
Mother– Rymma Zelenska (Engineer)
|Volodymyr Zelensky Net Worth (2022)||12 Million USD|
Early Life and Education
Volodymyr Zelensky was born on January 25, 1978 in Krivy Rih, Ukraine (a city in central Ukraine), which was then under the Soviet Union. He was born to Jewish parents. He is also a Russian speaker.
His father, Oleksandr Zelensky, was a professor and head of the department of cybernetics and computing hardware at a company. His mother, Rimma Zelenska, worked as an engineer. His grandfather, Semyon, served in the Red Army (in the 57th Guards Motor Rifle Division).
Volodymyr Zelensky completed his early studies from a local school in the Ukrainian city of Krivy Rih. He later enrolled at the Krivy Rih Institute of Economics, then earned a law degree from the Kyiv National Economic University, however, he never worked in the legal field after obtaining his law degree.
Instead Zelensky went into the entertainment field by becoming a comedian. He spent several years with the comedy group “Quartl 95”. He also starred in several TV shows and feature films.
However, his most famous role was in ‘Servant of the People’, a TV show that aired between 2015 and 2019.
On the show, Zelensky played a high-school history teacher in his 30s who won the presidential election after a viral video was shown. He was condemning the Ukrainian government in that video.
His show portrayed the growing corruption within the Ukrainian government in a very dramatic way and his show was a huge hit among the people of Ukraine.
The year the show ended, Zelensky announced his candidacy for the presidency.
In September 2003, Zelensky married Olena Kiashko. Both studied in the same school. According to Zelenska she and her husband grew up in an openly and predominantly Russian environment and had no relatives who spoke Ukrainian.
Volodymyr Zelensky Comedy and Movies Career –
He also followed his passion for comedy and formed a production company named Quartle 95. His company produces films, cartoons and several television shows including Servant of the People in which Zelensky played the President of Ukraine.
Volodymyr Zelensky is a professional politician and comedian cum actor. He does not share his personal life on his social media handles. His career as a comedian began when he was only 17 years old by joining the local KVN.
He also starred in a feature film titled Love in the Big City and Love in the Big City Part 2. He was also a member of the board of Ukraine which banned Russian artists in Ukraine.
Political career of Volodymyr Zelensky
Zelensky’s rise in politics was a tumultuous period in the history of Ukraine. In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea and supported the separatist movement in eastern Ukraine.
In the same year, then-president Viktor Yanukovich was removed from office after heavy protests. Petro Poroshenko became president of fragile Ukraine in 2014.
It was ‘anti-corruption’ sentiment among the population that paved the way for Zelensky, who portrayed himself as an anti-corruption leader in ‘Servant of the People’, eventually becoming the leader of the country.
In 2019, he contested for the presidency and decisively defeated Poroshenko. Zelensky’s victory was a landslide as he received 73.2% of the vote. On May 20, 2019, he was sworn in as the sixth President of Ukraine.
Some Facts About Volodymyr Zelenskyy
- Volodymyr Zelensky is a Russian-speaking Jew, best known for his comedy TV shows.
- Volodymyr Zelensky has been married to Olena Zelenska since 2003. He has a son and a daughter.
- The Ukrainian president earned a law degree from the Krivy Rih Institute of Economics, but did not work in the legal field.
- His grandfather, Semyon (Simon) Ivanovich Zelensky, served in the Red Army (in the 57th Guards Motor Rifle Division) during World War II; Simeon’s father and three brothers were killed in the Holocaust.
- Zelensky is the first person from Ukraine who suddenly became the President of Ukraine without any political background, being liked among the people just because of his comedy.
- Before joining politics, Zelensky was an actor, a comedian. He also had a production company. Zelensky was featured in his famous TV show Servant of the People where he played a school teacher who becomes the President of Ukraine after his rant goes viral.
- Zelensky won the 2019 election with 73% of the vote.
- In his presidential campaign, Zelensky promised to end the conflict with Russia.
- Volodymyr Zelensky has been accused of corruption and was named in the Pandora Papers. He and his production company have been linked to offshore shell companies.
- When Zelensky became president, many people called him Ukrainian Donald Trump because of his association with the entertainment industry.
Volodymyr Zelensky in Ukraine-Russia War
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky is winning the hearts and support of people around the world, even as his country is in the midst of a war declared by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Volodymyr Zelensky refuses to leave the country, even though Russian attacks have overtaken the Kyiv capital and 198 civilians have been killed so far.
When America offered to help him in this, he refused to evacuate the country. According to a senior US intelligence official, he said, “The fight is here; I want ammunition, not a ride.”